Code Enforcement

12:30 - 4:30, Tuesdays

Code Enforcement Officer

David Dyer



Alternate CEO

Carol Rooney

About My Work

The Islesboro Code Enforcement department is charged with ensuring that the construction and destruction of structures and timber on Islesboro properties is in compliance with the island’s land use codes and regulations.    It is my duty as the Code Enforcement Officer (C.E.O.) to help applicants through the permit application process for any change of use on one’s property, whether it be building or timber harvesting.  I have the authority to approve permits for the building of any structure that does not have to do with dwelling units (residences), such as decks, porches, and driveways.  Any business surrounding dwelling units or commercial enterprises, such as construction or expansion, must be approved by the Planning Board, not the Code Enforcement Officer.  

As C.E.O. I also act as an agent for the Board of Selectmen in the licensing of automobile graveyards/junkyards on the island.  Click here for a Automobile graveyard/junkyard application.

Frequent Questions

Note: The following information provides guidance and may not be true in all cases.  Please consult the full ordinance for clarification.

Do I need a permit to build a structure?  What constitutes a “structure”?

If the new structure is greater than 120 sq. feet, then YES you need a permit. A “structure”, as defined by the Town of Islesboro ordinances, is anything built for the support, shelter, or enclosure of persons, animals, goods or property of any kind, together with anything constructed or erected with a fixed location on or in the ground.  The term includes structures temporarily or permanently located, such as decks and satellite dishes.    

Do I need a permit to cut trees?

YES, if the timber harvesting is within 200 feet of normal high water.  

Do I need a permit to erect a fence?

YES, if it is within 75 feet of normal high water.  B. YES if it is within 50 feet of the center line of the road.

License Plumbing Inspector


Bill Boardman



Alternate LPI

David Nazeroff

About My Work

As the Islesboro License Plumbing Inspector (LPI), I work closely with master plumbers and site evaluators inspecting and licensing all new internal plumbing fixtures and new water supply fixtures installed on the island.  I also examine and license sub-surface waste water disposal systems.

Frequent Questions

Q1:What steps should I take if I am looking to install new plumbing or a new septic system?
A1:Contact Bill Boardman.