The Margaret Chase Smith ferry is operated by the Maine State Ferry Service connecting Lincolnville Beach and the island of Islesboro. Depending on the month, the ferry makes the twenty minute passage between 12 and 18 times per day. The boat leaves Lincolnville on the hour and Islesboro half past the hour. The current ferry schedule can be viewed on the State's website.
Please remain aware of rules for traveling on the Margaret Chase Smith. These rules are observed and this is particularly true during the busy summer months when lines can be long. Failing to follow the rules will likely see you repositioned to the back of the line. The rules are posted at the terminals and are summarized here.
Vehicle with Passenger(s)
- Be in line (and in your car) at the terminal at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
- Park within the designated queue lines, located adjacent to the terminal building and continuing along the edge of the upper parking lot.
- Purchase your vehicle ticket and any additional passenger tickets inside the ferry terminal.
- Proceed onto the ferry when instructed by the ferry attendant.
- Turn off your engine after you have parked your vehicle on the ferry.
Walk-on Passengers *
- Purchase your tickets inside the ferry terminal.
- Proceed onto the ferry when instructed by the ferry attendants.
- After arriving at your destination, allow all cars to exit the ferry before walking off the boat.
* Please refer to "Parking" for parking fee information at the Lincolnville Terminal parking area.
- Purchase your reservation at least 2 hours before the scheduled ferry. You can use a credit card by calling the ferry terminal.
- Be in the reserved parking line 15 minutes before the scheduled ferry
7:30 - 11:00 (Winter schedule 10:00)
12:30 - 5:00
7:00 - 11:00 (Winter schedule 10:00)
12:00 - 4:30
From all points South:
1.Take I-95 North to Portland, Maine.
2.Take Exit 44 (I-295 North).
3.Follow I-295 North to exit 28 (U.S. Route 1 North, Coastal Route)
4.Follow Route 1 all the way through Waldoboro and turn left on ME-90 East. You will see signs at this turn off for “Islesboro Ferry”.
5.Follow ME-90 East for approximately 10 miles.
6.At the Intersection of ME-90 and US-1, turn left on Route 1 North.
7.Follow Route 1 North for approximately 8 miles.
8.Turn right into the Linconville Ferry Terminal.
1. Take US-202 West toward Hampden.
2. At the intersection of US-202 and US-9, make a left on Western Ave.
3. Take the first right onto US-1A West.
4. Follow US-1A West for approximately 20 miles.
5. Continue onto ME-3 West/US-1 South for another 24 miles.
6. Turn left into the Lincolnville Ferry Terminal.
From all other points North:
1. Take US-1 South to Lincolnville.
2. Turn left into the Lincolnville Ferry Terminal.
Parking fees are imposed between May 15th and October 15th. Passes may be purchased inside the terminal or by calling ahead and using a credit card.
The fees are $10 for a one day pass, $50 for a week pass, $95 for a month pass, and $250 for a season pass.
Telephone # 207-789-5611.
There is free parking at the ferry terminal but observe signs of which spots are available. Overnight parking is by permit only. Permits may be purchased at the Town Office.
There are floats with public access at the ferry landing and at Big Tree in Seal Harbor.
Permits are required for overnight use of the floats by boats 12 foot or smaller with engines 10 H.P. or smaller. Larger boats must have a mooring for overnight stays.
See the Town of Islesboro Municipal Shore Areas, Pier and Flost Use Ordinance for detailed information. Contact the Harbor Master for additional information.
See the Town of Lincolnville Harbor Ordinance for rules of water access in Lincolnville harbor.
Concord Coach Lines has a bus stop in front of the Lincolnville Post Office which is an easy 5 minute walk from the Lincolnville ferry terminal. Note this stop is by request only, so be standing at the stop and wave to catch the attention of the bus driver. This service connects to regional destinations as well as transportation hubs such as Logan Airport and South Station in Boston.
Note, if the bus is running a little late call ahead to the Lincolnville terminal - they do try to accommodate.
Concord: (800) 639-3317
Lincolnville Terminal: (207) 789-5611
Our airport operates seasonally. Contact the Town Office for current status.
AirNav provides details of our airport but the Town of Islesboro has no relationship with AirNav and no control of the accuracy of information they provide.
Penobscot Island Air provides scheduled and chartered flights to and from Islesboro.
Air New England LLC offers non-stop charter flights to Islesboro from New York and Boston with almost daily service during the summer. They also provide service to all of New England and Canada. For more details: www.airnewe.com